Home News DOST’s OL Trap sites show decrease in dengue cases
DOST’s OL Trap sites show decrease in dengue cases PDF Print E-mail
Friday, 19 August 2011 08:24

Similar positive results were also seen in Region 10.  Dr. Josephine Ibalo, Department of Health’s dengue coordinator in Bukidnon noted 36 cases in the whole province this year as of August 10, a significant decrease from  last year’s 1,087 cases and 16 deaths.

The use of the trap has increased the awareness of the communities  on the nature of the dengue carrying Aedis Aegypti mosquito and how to prevent them from breeding any further.
The OL Trap works by attracting the said mosquito, through the trap’s black color and organic solution, to lay its eggs in the trap. The solution then kills the eggs and the larvae, thus eliminating the next generation of mosquitoes.

The OL Trap is one of DOST’s R&D strategies in addressing dengue and is part of the government’s multi-pronged approach in fighting said fatal disease. This month, DOST and the Department of Education are working together in providing OL Traps to elementary and secondary school, both public and private, that are located in hotspot areas in the National Capital Region. (S&T Media Service)

 

News from Agencies

News from the Regions