- Hits: 197
Numerous areas in the country have been hounded by the various challenges and limitations which resulted in lesser career and livelihood opportunities for its local communities. By investing in various research and development (R&D) programs especially in the rural areas could provide long-term solutions to the existing socioeconomic problems.
Before the launching of the Science for Change Program of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) in 2016, 80% of the government R&D budget was concentrated in Metro Manila and adjacent regions leaving the remaining 20% to be shared by 14 other regions. To date, the share of the R&D budget for the regions increased to 66%, tipping the scale to boost R&D initiatives to address concerns in the countryside.
- Hits: 484
Are you familiar with ar-arusip, pok-poklo, and garganatis?
These are some seaweeds fondly eaten by Ilocanos. Over the years, folk beliefs about their medicinal value are now being forgotten. But thanks to a new study, the names of these indigenous seaweeds and their known medicinal benefits will now be forever etched in science.
Reporting in the June 2022 issue of the Philippine Journal of Science (PJS), Dr. Richard V. Dumilag and Raymundo F. Javier documented 34 indigenous seaweed species used by Ilocanos for medicinal purposes. Their health benefits range from treating insect bites and parasitic infection, to solving digestive, respiratory, and skin diseases.
- Hits: 483
Being key contributors in strengthening several research and development (R&D) programs of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) in the past six years, three universities received the Outstanding S&T Partner Award for Academic Institution during the Science for the People (SFTP) Awards “Gabi ng Parangal at Pasasalamat” held on 13 June 2022, at Sofitel Plaza in Pasay City.
Central Luzon State University (CLSU), Philippine Genome Center (PGC) of the University of the Philippines (UP), and De La Salle University (DLSU) were recognized for their outstanding contribution and dynamic collaboration in science, technology, and innovation. These universities were cited for pioneering relevant scientific knowledge, innovative and commercially viable technologies which helped sustain the economic progress of various industry sectors and eventually, the Filipino people.
- Hits: 496
“These new products should not be kept in the cabinets of the research laboratories but should find its perfect technology adopters.”
This is according to Dr. Zorayda Ang, project leader and deputy director at the Department of Science and Technology- Industrial Technology Development Institute (DOST-ITDI).
She said these products were the streamlined concepts showing market potential, technical feasibility, and business soundness based on the rigor of market study and technical tests in the marketing training program they conducted.