Following the onslaught of Typhoon “Odette”, the Association of Regional Executives of National Agencies in Region XI (ARENA XI) commenced relief efforts by providing material support to help the families and communities affected by the said typhoon which devastated several areas in Visayas and Mindanao affecting over seven million people which resulted to PHP 11.1 billion damages in crops and farmland and another PHP 17.5 billion damages to homes, roads, and infrastructures, according to the latest government data.
Employees from different National Government Agencies (NGAs) joined hands in sending out their support to families affected by Typhoon Odette thru the ARENA XI donation drive on 28 December 2021. The collected donations included water, water gallons, rice, canned food, hygiene kits, clothes, and materials for temporary shelter. The material support was given by the following agencies:
- Department of Health XI (DOH XI),
- Commission On Audit XI (COA XI),
- Department of Energy XI (DoE XI),
- Davao Integrated Development Program (DIDP),
- Department of Agrarian Reform XI (DAR XI),
- National Economic and Development Authority XI (NEDA XI),
- Department of Science and Technology XI (DOST XI),
- National Housing Authority XI (NHA XI),
- Department of Trade and Industry XI (DTI XI),
- Bureau of Fire Protection XI (BFP XI),
- Bureau of Plant Industry-Davao National Crop Research, Development and Production Support Center (BPI-Davao NCRDPSC),
- DAR Regional Employees Multi-Purpose Cooperative XI (DARREMCO XI),
- Department of Public Works and Highways XI (DPWH XI),
- Department of Education XI (DepEd XI),
- Professional Regulation Commission XI (PRC XI), and
- Office of Civil Defense XI (OCD XI)
Dr. Anthony C. Sales, CESO III, ARENA XI President, and DOST XI Regional Director spearheaded the turnover of the second batch of ARENA XI donations to OCD XI on 29 December 2021 which will be transported to Caraga Region for distribution to the affected communities.
“Thank you to all the NGAs who extended their support for this endeavor. From vaccination to donation drive, we stand ready to offer help and develop initiatives to support our people during this challenging time,” said Dr. Sales.
In addition, in October 2021, ARENA XI also donated in-kind material support to Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDLs) in facilities managed by the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology XI (BJMP XI).
“Due to their environmental conditions, hygiene kits are a necessity most especially the PDLs are highly susceptible to contracting COVID-19. This is one way to address the lack of basic supplies of the PDLs while going through this pandemic,” added Dr. Sales. (Information from
DOST XI S&T Information and Promotion)